Skip to main content

I'm So Happy and Thankful to Be Unemployed...

I realized that a couple of posts ago, I mentioned that I lost my job back in June.  I mentioned that fact, but never told the story behind it.  So here is the story.  Not because you need to know every detail of my life, but because it is a cool story, and I learned a lot from the experience.

I've heard about the importance of giving thanks, of feeling gratitude, even in difficult circumstances.  I've even taught about the importance of being thankful.  But what does it really look like?

I've spent the last three years as an online English teacher.  It has been a great job that has worked really well with being a stay-at-home-mom.  But it's been a 9 month gig, meaning that during the summer months, when I wasn't actively teaching, I was also not bringing in money. Coming into summer of 2017, this was a concern.

Teaching, however, takes a lot of prep work.  It's easiest if the prep work is all done in advance.  I was hopeful that I could spend the summer prepping for my classes, and get paid during those months for developing the curriculum.  If I could get that portion of my income during the summer months, that would help.  I contacted my supervisor to float the idea, and waited to hear back.

And waited.

I sent a reminder email or two, trying hard not to pester.  But I needed to know!  Finally, on June 29th, two hours before my daughter's birthday party, and as I was putting my 3 y.o. down for a nap, the email came. 

I saw it on my phone, with the first part of the email in the subject line, "Due to..."

Instantly the thought hit me, "I've been fired."

"Don't be silly," I told myself.  "Actually read the email."

So I did.

I had been fired.

More accurately, my program had been discontinued, and my services were no longer needed.  I was wished good luck in my future endeavors, and that was it.

I was not particularly surprised.  But I was a bit stunned.  It took a minute for the stunned feeling to die down, and then I felt...excited.

Excited?  Really?!

Actually, yeah.  It felt like God had reached down and plucked that job right out of my schedule, opening my time up to any number of fantastic opportunities.

And I couldn't wait to figure out what those opportunities were.

My husband didn't have the same reaction.  I called and told him right away.  In retrospect, I should have waited.  Maybe it didn't matter.  He was already feeling stress from the summertime financial pinch.  The only way that he could see to ease that stress was for me to get paid something during the summer.  And now, not only was that opportunity gone, but a portion of our income that we had relied on was now also cut off.

It was a rough few days for him.

Somehow, I didn't succumb to the dread. I had been feeling driven to share my knowledge and experience with the Laws of Thought.  I had written a few articles on those laws, and I started writing the rest (I had planned a series of 8 articles, which you can read here).  I contacted Leslie Householder to ask about (finally!) teaching a Genius Bootcamp (I had certified to teach it 5 years ago, and had nearly given up all hope!). As much as I hoped there was a way for me to bring in money by doing what I love (teaching and mentoring), I mostly just wanted to help people, whether I got paid to do so or not. 

It has been really interesting what opportunities have presented themselves since I was so excited about no longer having a job.  I met a woman who asked me to tell her my story.  I told a little bit, ending with something about needing money to help my family.  She replied, "Have you heard of Norwex?"  Norwex ended up earning us over $500 that month.  My Genius Bootcamp wrapped up just a few days ago, and was a very successful event, both for me and those who participated.  And just a few days after that, a job opportunity seriously landed in my lap when I went to discuss a different matter with my children's principal.

Not every day since that fateful firing day have been exciting.  This is still life, after all (Law of Rhythm).  But I'm convinced that being able to see that circumstance through the eyes of optimism and gratitude had EVERYTHING to do with the opportunities that presented themselves later on. 

Will I be able to face every discouraging blow with that same kind of excitement?  Not likely.  I'm still learning and practicing living by these laws.  But I know it's POSSIBLE.  And I know that because I lived it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word