Skip to main content

Divine Protection

My first year teaching 5th grade is wrapping up, and boy, I am hanging on by my fingernails (as are all the students)!  The weather is so nice, and the kids just want to move and play outside.  Who can blame them? It means that it is a perfect time for an outside field trip!

Yesterday was the day.  We bused the entire 5th grade up to beautiful Snow Basin to enjoy a day of hiking, games, and lunch on the lawn.  It was PERFECT weather for our trip.  Sunny but not too hot, shady for most of the hike without being too cold, and really fun to interact with my students in a less formal setting.
Our majestic view of the mountains, and a beaver-made pond in the foreground.  It was really cool to see the trees that the beavers had cut down!

After the hike, we settled down for lunch, and the kids started pulling out games to play on the grass. Everything was picture perfect, until we heard one of the kids screaming, and running towards the adults, specifically to his mom, who was one of the parent chaperones.

As I turned toward the screaming, I saw blood running down the side of of this boy's head.  A metal sign had fallen and struck him on the side of the head, right above and behind his ear.  Panic and efficiency set in as all the adults tried to clean him up and determine what to do.  And here is where things get interesting.

The original plan for me, since I only work half time and the field trip would extend beyond my contract hours, was for me to drive up separately so that I could leave in time to get back for my babysitter, who needed to leave before the field trip would be over.  But, one of my teen daughters woke up sick that morning, so while my babysitter did come for my little guy, I decided that my teen could watch him for an hour between when babysitter left and I returned home.  I made quick last minute arrangements, and rode the bus on the field trip instead.  Also, before leaving home in the morning, as I packed everything I would need for the trip, I grabbed a small first-aid kit and stuck it in my pack. (Some kid was bound to need a Band-aid, right?)

So when this injured boy came running in a panic with blood streaming down his head, his mom took a look while I got gauze out to apply pressure to stop the bleeding (one of the other parent chaperones had a much better first-aid kit with her as well, which was good because mine was not enough!).  Then as his mom was getting him in the car ready to go, I was able to ask if she wanted me to come.  She brushed it off a little, just anxious to get her boy to the ER as quickly as possible. But, not having a car of my own to worry about, I insisted and rode down the mountain to the hospital with them.  She drove, and I was able to keep an eye on her child to make sure he was doing okay.

At the hospital, thankfully, we learned that it was not as bad an injury as we had initially thought.  No concussion, even.  And this kid is a trooper--he showed up at school today, ready to just move on.

At the time of the incident, I did what I felt I had to do.  When it was all over, I questioned every choice.  After all, I just up and left my entire class to help one student!  I was afraid my team would be upset with me.  But I knew that it was really no different than what I had originally planned to do, by leaving the field trip a little early on my own.  And I felt like being with this mom, whose stress responses were so heightened, might be a real help.

This morning, I apologized to one of the teachers on my team for just up and leaving so unexpectedly.  My fears were permanently put to rest as she said, "I was just thinking about how perfectly everything worked out for you to go with him, with your daughter being sick so you didn't have to drive..."

So, it wasn't just in my head.  Even those little choices, that I thought were just to benefit me, were inspired.

The entire day yesterday was full of stress.  As wonderful as it was to be outside, a field trip is a big deal, and isn't necessarily relaxing for the adults in charge (especially yesterday's!).  All evening, I kind of wanted to sob, just to release the emotion of the day.  I never did.  I ate a big bowl of ice cream instead. (I also heard the other day that you can expect to gain 25 lbs. your first year of teaching.  Now I know why!) I woke up this morning, thankful for a light day of teaching (we are just finishing up standardized testing), and hoping to get to school early for faculty meeting.

I hug-hug and kiss-kissed my children as I was walking out the door, and listened to the pounding of their running feet as they hurried to the window to wave.  And then came the sound that made my blood run cold--the shattering of glass and my son's scream. 

I ran to the broken window, expecting to see blood everywhere. 

That's two panes of broken glass.

There was no blood.  None.  Just a frightened little boy and a mess to clean up.

Not a cut on his hands, just a little
"glass dust" to wash off.

I inspected A.J.'s hands, looking to see if they were cut and just waiting to bleed. There was a minor scratch on his arm that barely required a Band aid, and a couple of speck-like cuts on his face that only needed to be washed.  Shattered glass everywhere, in the house and out, but no blood. 


One little cut on his arm.

I have known many people who have had hand-through-the- glass-experiences, and there is profuse bleeding and ER visits involved nearly every time.  There is no reason for my son to not have had the same experience.  But for whatever reason, he was spared.  And whatever that reason may be, I am thankful.

Mostly I'm writing up these experiences so that I remember.  I want to remember that Heavenly Father is watching over us.  He is in the tiny details of our lives.  From something minor like changing my plans so that I could help a student, to something bigger like my boy going unscathed, He is there, helping, supporting, comforting, and protecting every step of the way.  We just need to see it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word