Skip to main content

Great are the promises of the Lord unto them who are upon the isles of the sea......

*Disclaimer* As I study the scriptures, little thoughts and questions fill my mind.  Think of this post as a bit of a book report on the associated verses, telling what I got from them.  Especially as I try to imagine what Laman and Lemuel were thinking.  Really, who could know what these guys thought?  This is in no way a pronouncement of Church doctrine.  I'm just a girl trying to increase my understanding. ;)

I read a little of 2 Nephi chapter 10 in the Book of Mormon this morning as my scripture study.  Verses 20 and 21 really caught my eye:

20 And now, my beloved brethren, seeing that our merciful God has given us so great knowledge concerning these things, let us remember him, and lay aside our sins, and not hang down our heads, for we are not cast off; nevertheless, we have been driven out of the land of our inheritance; but we have been led to a better land, for the Lord has made the sea our path, and we are upon an isle of the sea.
21 But great are the promises of the Lord unto them who are upon the isles of the sea; wherefore as it says isles, there must needs be more than this, and they are inhabited also by our brethren.

I'll tell you where my thoughts went with this, but first a little background.

Isaiah.  Maybe the most feared word among adult members of my church.  We're supposed to study it, we've been promised that if we do so with the help of the Holy Ghost that we will understand it.  And mostly, from my observation, people are just afraid to tackle it.

The reality is that understanding Isaiah is not going to happen by magic, but through diligent, faithful effort.  And most of us just don't have that kind of faith in ourselves.  We see all of our shortcomings, and feel like it's too big a hurdle to overcome.  But our shortcomings are given to us so that we can come to the Lord, and then HE will turn our weaknesses to strengths.  But all of that is just a personal rant.  Back to the story.

Several years ago, I was attending a youth activity where a guest speaker talked about Isaiah.  Why did Nephi love the words of Isaiah so much?  The speaker said that Nephi loved Isaiah because Nephi was experiencing the very things Isaiah talked about. 

Recently, as I have started reading the Book of Mormon again, and thinking about the experiences of Lehi's family, I came to a realization about Laman and Lemuel, and WHY Nephi kept reading Isaiah's words to them.

Often, we bring our child-like understanding to our scripture study.  We see Nephi as the good guy and Laman and Lemuel as the bad guys, because that's how we understood them when we were young.  But if that's where our understanding STAYS, we miss out on SO. MUCH. 

I'm starting to think that Laman and Lemuel were not the bad guys I used to think they were.  I think they were a lot like me.  They knew the promised blessings, and they knew what was required of them to obtain those blessings.  And, for the most part, I think they probably did those good things, though maybe there was some grumbling involved.

Until Father Lehi takes the family away from Jerusalem (then there is a lot of grumbling involved!).  But stop and think for a moment about what that meant.  It wasn't just that Lehi was taking them away from civilization, he was leading them away from the chosen people of the Lord.  What if Laman and Lemuel, in addition to longing for their riches and the good life they had known, were longing for the security of being part of the Lord's people? What if they were hoping for the blessings promised to the House of Israel, and believed that because they left Jerusalem, that they were forfeiting those blessings? (I don't think they had allowed the gospel to change their hearts and make them ready for these blessings, but I think maybe they were expecting to receive them, by virtue of the fact that they were a part of "God's chosen people."  (And then there is the fact that they didn't recognize how far the Jews at Jerusalem had strayed from the gospel.  So I'm not saying they would have received these blessings, just that perhaps THEY thought they would, and this loss added to their resentment of Lehi and Nephi.))

And let's not forget Nephi.  He experienced the same things that Laman and Lemuel did, with one important difference.  He WANTED to know what the Lord had in mind, and he believed the Lord would help him understand.  So he asked.  Oh, what a difference that attitude makes!

And now we finally get to the heart of this post.  Much of the Isaiah chapters that Nephi quotes (and Jacob, his brother), talk about the scattering and gathering of Israel.  And the chapter and verses I read today talk about how even though these Israelites are no longer gathered in one body at Jerusalem, the blessings of the Lord will still be theirs if they repent.  Why?  Because they have not been forgotten.

Did you catch that?

Because they have not been forgotten.

I started to wonder if that had a modern-day application.  I know many people who have been faithful members of the church, and then, for a variety of reasons, stopped coming.  For some, the pain of going just became too great.  Oh, how my heart aches for them!

But.

If the Lord will scatter an apostate generation of Israelites to the four corners of the earth and still extend His blessings to them, will he not do the same for our modern-day brothers and sisters who are struggling?  Some of them have felt like they are upon a lonely, desert island, even in the midst of church activity. 

As I pondered and prayed about this, I got one definitive answer:

They have not been forgotten.  YOU have not been forgotten.

Whatever your struggles, whatever your pains, however great your loneliness, you have not been forgotten.

Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands; thy walls are continually before me.   (1 Nephi 21:16)
My prayer this morning was that we--that I--would have my heart opened to these brothers and sisters, and just love them.  They need to know that they are loved, regardless of their membership status.

And my prayer was that those who are struggling would feel that support, and God's love for them.

And I am so thankful for the comforting words of the prophet Isaiah.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word