Skip to main content
“I am determined to be happy in whatever situation I may be, for I have learned from experience that the greater part of our happiness or misery is dependent upon our dispositions, not our circumstances.”

This has been my favorite quote for many years.  I have most often seen it attributed to either Martha Washington or the ever-wise “Anonymous,” but I haven’t been able to authenticate either.  Regardless, it is a truism that I have experienced in my life.  When I was first introduced to this quote at 15 years old, my Young Women’s leader challenged me to look at myself in the mirror while I repeated this quote with conviction.  I did.  After several weeks, I recognized that I was seeing things in a more optimistic way.

Today as I was thinking (as I am apt to do), this quote led to a broader truism: the greater part of my happiness or misery is dependent upon my own thinking.  When I think and act in accordance with natural law, I experience happiness.  When my thoughts and actions run contrary to natural law, I experience misery.

At our Stake Conference last Sunday, our wonderful Stake President spoke about repentance.  It was an excellent talk!  One of the things he said was that he is so grateful for guilt.  Guilt is a gift.  These are bold and confusing statements when you consider how much effort we as a society put into NOT feeling guilt.  But he reminded us that guilt helps us to recognize a need for change, and then to seek it.  If we continue to make choices that violate moral or natural law and expect positive results (i.e., happiness), we will be miserable because such a thing is impossible according to natural law. 

As I was pondering these new thoughts, I watched one of my daughters become angry with her sister (again.  It’s an ongoing battle!).  I recognized immediately that this principle was at work: if my daughter would change her thinking, she would not have to experience so much frustration with her sister.  We accept so much as “normal” (sibling rivalry is “normal”; the generation gap is “normal”) that really could be changed by a change in our thinking.  It is most certainly “normal” to encounter these feelings, but we don’t have to invite them to be our constant companions.  We can recognize them as invitations to discover a train of faulty thought, and then correct that faulty thinking.  Believing this—acting on this—makes happiness attainable in every circumstance.  Instead of an emotional state that we hope will happen to us, happiness becomes a choice.  It is available to us anytime we choose. 

I remember once as I read over this favorite quote again, I got stuck on the word determined.  For the first time, I didn’t like the connotation.  It’s possible to believe that this quote is encouraging us to use our determination to power through feelings of sadness or frustration, and make ourselves feel happy instead.  Pushing away those negative feelings in an attempt to be happy is trying to force something contrary to natural law.  To read this quote in that way will yield more frustration and more disappointment.  But if we remember that to determine something means to make a choice, then we can read the quote like this: I have chosen to be happy in whatever situation I may be…


It makes a difference.  It is choosing to tap into the power that will bring happiness, rather than trying to force happiness when it isn’t there.  It is choosing to feel and experience negative feelings, and to use them as tools to rediscover happiness, by identifying and changing our faulty ways of thinking.  Happiness cannot come just because you will it to be so.  Happiness is a direct result of living and thinking rightly, according to natural law.  I will not just “happen” for anyone, but it is available to everyone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word