Skip to main content

Lessons from the Grinch

Last December we planned a family outing to go Christmas shopping.  For years we have taken the kids to the dollar store to buy presents for each other and the parents.  It has become a favorite family tradition--dinner at McDonald's, and shopping at the Dollar Tree across the parking lot.  But I'd grown weary of receiving dollar store gifts to try and treasure.  I decided that perhaps we had "graduated" to a "nicer" discount store where we could have a bigger selection of gifts.  Yes, our budget would need to increase, but the gifts would be better!  So we tried Big Lots.  Meh.  Yes, bigger gifts.  Better--maybe.  This year, instead of Dollar Tree or Big Lots, we would go to our favorite local big box store--Shopko.  It would definitely be better here.

Ugh.  Worst family activity night!  The store was so big that it was hard to keep track of everyone. The selection was so big (and the prices) that it was difficult for our littles to stay within their modest budget.  They needed a lot of help from mom and dad.  And the kicker--the coupons that we brought to use had all either expired the day before, or were not valid until the next day.  We had confused the dates as we looked at them before leaving the house, so this was a check-stand discovery.  Andy was fuming, mostly about the coupons, but also over the frustration of the shopping trip.  Everyone else was ornery, and I suddenly remembered a line from How the Grinch Stole Christmas:

Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!  "Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store.  Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"

Had I really made the same mistake as the Grinch?  Had I really become so selfish that I couldn't see my children's gifts to me for what they were?  All they wanted was to share in the joy of giving, and to see a smile on my face when they gave me a heart-felt gift.  And, at least for a few years, I had been more focused on the gift than on the giver.  I was embarrassed over this new discovery.  And with everyone else's unhappiness over the "fun" family activity we had just (not) enjoyed, I asked some questions.

"Did anyone have fun tonight?"  (The answers were mixed, but there was definitely whining involved.) "Was it more fun tonight?  Or was it more fun when we used to go to the dollar store?  I don't ever remember coming away from the dollar store with this feeling."

Everyone agreed.  We had spent more money and time, and had less fun.  Andy had considered taking everything back and using the coupon to re-purchase, but I had a different idea.

"We used to have fun doing this activity.  What if we take back all the stuff, and re-do our Christmas shopping at the dollar store?"  There was some disappointment, because these girls had worked hard to pick nice gifts.  But instead of having to draw names and buy for just one sibling, they would be able to buy for everyone.  And the fun we used to have with this activity would return.  The feeling in the van changed.  Everyone calmed down.

A few days later, we went to the dollar store.  The girls wandered around, dropping hints about what they would like as they worked to pick the perfect gifts for their family members and stay out of sight.  Everything in the store fit into their budget.  They all got their own money to take and pay by themselves.  No coupons were involved.  And it was a small enough place that they could wander freely without getting lost.  The fun was back.  I got a puzzle, a dishtowel, a fancy bar of soap, and some floral patterned pens.  And a truly fun family memory.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word