Skip to main content

Beautiful Easter

(I started writing this for on Easter Sunday.  It is no longer Easter, but the blessings of the Resurrection are not only for one day.  So I'm posting it late, because the blessings of the Atonement and Resurrection are for every moment, every second.  And it's my blog.)

Beautiful Easter today.  My toddler woke at 4 a.m. and wouldn't go back to sleep.  My husband and I took turns for four hours, trying to keep him occupied and quiet, so that our sick daughter would be able to stay asleep.  It was a valiant effort.  I tried to pour out my tired soul in prayer, but I got as far as, "I'm just so tired.  Please help me understand what my children need, and give me strength to get through the day."  At least toddler napped for an hour or so before church.

We made it to Sacrament Meeting, and we were almost completely settled into our pew before toddler started wailing for his milk.  We did manage to make it almost through the Sacrament with him before Dad took him out.  *Sigh.*  I struggle with Sundays.

The ward choir sang.  It was lovely, but a little bittersweet, since my sick 15 year-old was supposed to accompany the choir on her violin.  I love to hear her play.  Just as the music ended, Dad returned with toddler.  My turn.  We tried walking around the church.  Several times he flopped onto the ground and just lay there, letting people step over him, and I think he was licking the carpet.  Gross, but he's a boy.  I've stopped caring so much about the things that go into his mouth.  It takes way to much energy to worry about most of it.

A friend of mine was also in the hall, and started to chat with me, but toddler was having none of it. "I don't know why I'm here," I confided.  "You should just go home," she said.  "I'll sub for you in the nursery."

I didn't even think twice, not letting the guilt in, even though I read through the Ensign about parents who are diligent with their fussy children, walking the halls for most of the three hour block, but at least they are in the right place!  I should be one of those diligent parents.  Instead, I take my little one home for a nap.  But we try.  Every week we try.

It doesn't sound like such a lovely Easter, does it?  But it was.  I prayed in anticipation of a family dinner, knowing that some of our family members are struggling with heavy burdens.  It breaks my heart that they have chosen a path away from the church, away from faith, and away from the Savior, but it is what it is.  I prayed to be able to say something to one family member in particular, and to have the words given to me.  I didn't have the opportunity for a conversation with this person, but I was asked to say the blessing on the meal.  I wasn't sure I was in the right frame of mind, but I prayed.

I wondered as I prayed whether or not I should mention the Resurrection and Atonement on this Easter Sunday.  How would such a prayer be received by those in our family who don't believe?  On the other hand, how could I pray and NOT express my gratitude for my Savior?  I had to say what was in my heart, regardless of how the other members of the family would feel about it.

It wasn't until I left that I realized that the Lord had answered my prayers.  Usually Grandpa calls on someone to pray.  This time, Grandma suggested that I say it.  I haven't prayed at one of these family gatherings in a very long time--usually it's one of the grandchildren.  But I was given the opportunity to bear my testimony through prayer to family members who wouldn't hear it any other way.  I don't know if it will make any difference to them, but it did to me.

I left wanting to shout my testimony from the rooftops.  HE LIVES!  Hallelujah!  He lives!  Because He lives, all of the difficulties of my day are fleeting.  Because He lives, all the pain, sorrow, exhaustion, turmoil, confusion, and strife can be overcome.  It can all melt away as I strive to be still and listen to what He is telling me.  And not just me, it can be that way for you.  He died for YOU. He suffered for YOU. He LOVES YOU.  He is there, waiting, for YOU.  The more I let Him in, the more my life changes for the better.  The more I change for the better. And if you will let Him in, your life will change, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word