Skip to main content

Home school challenges

Home school has been a challenge lately.  I thought--years ago, when I was planning to home school all my children--that I had it all figured out.  That I understood what it would take for me as the mom to teach my children life-lessons AND acedemics. That I would be able to handle--even predict--the challenges that lay ahead.

Not so much.

I feel like a complete novice.  The baby steps as I go through this learning process are difficult, because I expect to be immediately successful at everything.  Often, when I'm not, I give up.  That's not an option in this situation.  For whatever reason, my daughter needs to be home, and for whatever reason, I need this experience with her.  It is heartwarming and bittersweet to hear her pray in the mornings, thanking Heavenly Father for this home school opportunity, knowing that at some point during the day she will probably melt down and scream at me because she doesn't like what she's learning.  I can hardly blame her.  She is learning the hardest lessons there are--she's learning self control.

A few weeks ago, I pulled out my Thomas Jefferson Education and the supporting materials, trying to figure out how so structure our home school.  I didn't really get very far.  I did review Core Phase, which is exactly where we are at, and exactly what we need.  Core Phase focuses on the most basic of basics: right vs. wrong, true vs. false, good vs. bad, relationships with family and God.  Part of that, particularly for us, is self-government.  Through much prayer and searching I finally got the message that THIS is why we're homeschooling.  Without a solid foundation in good vs. bad, relationships, and self-government, any other learning won't get you very far.  I've decided to be patient with myself, and with my daughter.  But still there is a nagging feeling that I should be doing more. Fortunately, I know that feeling is not from God.  It makes it easier to listen to what He IS telling me.

This phase--the tantrum phase--won't last forever.  I can feel subtle changes in my daughter.  She is learning.  I am learning.  We have much more to learn.  But we have a perfect and loving Tutor.  I'm learning to shut out the world's noise so I can hear the voice of the Spirit teaching me.  I have had some sweet and touching experiences, both with my daughter and with my Heavenly Father.

A friend of mine shared this meme on her Facebook timeline, and it boosted my spirits.  This truly is my goal when it comes to home school. (I don't have anything or anyone to attribute this to; if I find it, I'll post it later.)


I am thankful for the mentors God has sent to me, for the learning I have experienced in the last few years that has prepared me for this moment in my life.  I'm at a critical juncture with my daughter. Thankfully, as unready as I feel, I know that I am ready.  I know that a step in the darkness is sometimes necessary in order to get to the light.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word