Skip to main content

O, that I were an angel...

Last time I read Alma 29, I had a different understanding of it that shed some light on my own personal experiences.  I was reminded of this again today, and wanted to get it written down.  (I figured I might as well share!)

In Alma 29, Alma writes about his desire to share the gospel to every person, every nation.  He writes:
O that I were an angel, and could have the wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people! Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. But behold, I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me.
I always felt that Alma was being too hard on himself.  How is that a sin, to want to preach the gospel? And then I figured that his was a sin of ingratitude.  Displeasing to the Lord, certainly, but not really on the same level as some of his previous sins.

Then I started looking at what Alma really wanted.  Did he really want to be an angel?  Or did he just want the opportunity to share his powerful testimony with every soul on earth?  Being an angel, with all that heavenly power, was the only way he could see that his desire could be fulfilled.

But the Lord knew differently.  Alma preached and bore testimony as he was able, and faithfully wrote on the plates as he had been commanded.  And look what has happened.  Because he obeyed the commands of the Lord, his powerful testimony has been translated into 82 languages and shared all over the world for more then 200 years as a part of the Book of Mormon.  How many people has Alma influenced?  Did he not get his wish, just in a different way than he could possibly foresee?

So what about me?  I have tried for the last few years to move forward with a school--something I feel that is one of my special gifts.  But all of *my* efforts at doing this have failed, even as I have tried to do so with the guidance of the Lord.  Finally I have just given up.  If the Lord wants me to be involved in starting a school, He's just going to have to make that happen.  Silly me.  That should have been my attitude all along.  God has certainly given me the talents I want so much to use in His service.  But I need to trust Him to provide the way.  And just like with Alma, it probably won't look the way I think it should, simply because my understanding is so minute and finite.  But hindsight is a wonderful thing.  I can see as I look back that the Lord is active in my life, and is arranging things in such a way that I will have opportunity to use my talents to bless others, in ways that will be far more effective and far-reaching that anything I could imagine.  I just need to let go of my idea and trust in His.

Turns out that Alma's sin (and mine) was not just ingratitude, it was also trusting in the arm of flesh.  By wanting something and figuring that I know how to do it (and telling the Lord that this is the way it should be), I'm not putting my faith in Him.  By "giving up" I have actually put myself in a position of greater power (because it's His power) to accomplish all these things.  Instead of working for worldly goals, I am striving to stay in tune, to love my family, to strengthen my testimony, and be ready to serve however God wants me to.  My focus, because it is on things of the Spirit (instead of on a huge, temporal project), is bringing me closer to my true desires than my efforts to accomplish them have ever done.  It's a paradox, for sure.  But it is also more peaceful, and more certain that what I want is on it's way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Battle Raging for Our Minds

I had some amazing insights today that I wanted to quickly write. So this post is a bit hurried and not as polished as I usually like, but posting it will help me remember. And if you happen to read it, I hope you gain something from it as well. From my scripture journal: Amazing insights today! I read Alma chapter 47 and into chapter 48 today, and discovered something I had not seen before. Chapter 47 details how Amalikiah becomes king of the Lamanites. Specifically, I learned from the part about how he tricks Lehonti into giving him a position as second in command of the Lamanite armies, and then poisons Lehonti. We talk over and over about how Amalikiah lures Lehonti away from his stronghold and his fixed determination not to join with the rest of the Lamanite armies and fight the Nephites. And all those things are true. But like so many stories in the BOM, it has a counterpart. Lehonti’s fixed determination wasn’t enough. If he had such a fixed determination to not join w

So, That Didn't Go As I'd Planned...

Last October, as I taught Genius Bootcamp , I received some direction about what to do next , for which I was so grateful.  It led me to talk to the principal at my kids' school, which led to a job that has been a great blessing for our family.  It also provided me the opportunity to renew my teaching license, which in turn has opened up additional employment opportunities.  Andy and I have both felt that for us to reach our financial and family goals--that of following our church leaders' counsel and getting out of debt--that I need to get a full-time job.  Specifically, a full-time teaching job.  It is, after all, what my degree is in, and even just a few years of full time teaching will make a huge difference in our financial situation. So I applied for some teaching jobs.  With the teacher shortage I keep hearing that Utah is facing, I didn't think twice about whether or not I'd actually get a job.  That is, until I interviewed for one that I thought would be perf

Who Is Influencing You?

We have really been going the rounds as a family.  Fighting, bickering, blaming, yelling, screaming, shouting (and that's just Mom!).  We've tried talking about the inappropriateness of the behavior, emphasizing positive qualities of our kids to their irritated siblings, and praying for guidance as to what to do.  We have made efforts to increase our family prayer and scripture study, relying on the promise that increasing our time in the scriptures would increase the Spirit in our home.  To be fair, those efforts have all but disappeared during the summer, but it was a serious concern for us even as we made diligent efforts.  The contention seemed to be ever-present, even when (even while!) we were regularly studying. But in talking to one of my daughters about this problem, I may have hit on an aspect of it that we haven't addressed before. She was particularly upset with one of her sisters.  I asked her how she thought Heavenly Father felt about that sister.  What word